TODAY’S TIDBIT: My Yorkies don’t like to be cold! They cuddle up in their blankets and curl up close to each other. But my little rascal Gideon likes to lay over the heat register and although he loves the heat, it’s just not a good idea for dogs to stay there!
Our houses are dryer in the winter with our furnaces on and dogs can really dry out their skin by lying directly on the heat register, especially the elbows of larger dogs. And if your dog is wearing tags on her collar that doesn’t have a safety release, the tags could get caught in the heat register and your dog could damage her neck and throat or choke by panicking when trying to free herself.
We’ve invested in a stand up portable heater but you need to follow a few safety guidelines:
- Choose a heater that doesn’t have an exposed element.
- Select a heater that has an auto shut off when your dog gets too close to it or knocks it over.
- Don’t leave your dog unattended when the heater is on.
- Turn the heater off and unplug it when you leave the room.
- Take the heater out of the room when it’s turned off so your dog can’t chew on the unplugged cord.
Stay safe and warm…snuggle up with your Yorkie! See you on Friday for TODAY’S TIDBIT.